Miss Cranston’s ORIGINAL Willow Tea Rooms at 217 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, were designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1903.
This historic building is of the greatest significance for Scotland’s design heritage. It is the only tea room where Mackintosh was in control of the exterior and the interior and his arrangement of the internal spaces and his designs for the furniture are unparalleled in his designs for tea rooms.
The building is recognised internationally for its importance as the only surviving tea room designed in its entirety by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
It is our purpose to restore it to its former glory for future generations to appreciate and enjoy.
The building at 217 Sauchiehall Street was purchased in 2014 in order to prevent the forced sale of the building, closure of the Tea Rooms and loss of its contents to collectors. It is now in the ownership of 'The Willow Tea Rooms Trust', a registered charity.
The tea rooms are a catalyst for the regeneration of this part of Glasgow and will become a focal point for Cultural Tourism, attracting both domestic and international visitors.
The Trust is currently raising funds to bring this world class 'interactive visitor/exhibition centre, education and learning suite': a living breathing museum experience in the beautifully re-created Salon de Luxe at the 'Mackintosh Tea Rooms' as commissioned by Catherine Cranston in 1903.
We launch in June 2018 in line with Charles Rennie Mackintosh's 150th birthday celebrations.
1903 - PRESENT DAY
Charles Rennie Mackintosh was commissioned by Catherine Cranston in 1903 to convert an 1860s tenement into a fashionable tea room and restaurant.
The Willow Tea Rooms opened on October 29, 1903 outshining Miss Cranston’s other establishments. It
was the place to see and be seen!
The Willow Tea Rooms closed in 1928; its furniture was sold and the building was bought by Daly’s department store. In 1978 Daly’s moved to new premises and attempts were made to restore the surviving interiors.
In recent years the building suffered from several changes of ownership and subsequently deteriorated to a point where its physical survival was uncertain.
Our Mission Statement
The Willow Tea Rooms Trust was established in 2014 as a charity with the aim of acquiring Miss Cranston's Tea Rooms at 217 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. The building is now in ownership of the Trust.
Our formal objective is to restore the building to Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s 1903 design whilst ensuring its preservation for subsequent generations.
The Willow Tea Rooms Trust was created to restore this key work by Scotland’s greatest Architect.
We feel strongly that this building is of national and international importance.
Our main objective is to restore the Tea Rooms and Willow Tea Rooms building to their original splendour.